One of the most popular and versatile actors of Indian Cinema, Mohanlal celebrates his 58th birthday today. Known as ‘The Complete Actor’, Mohanlal has always been there right at the top in Malayalam cinema for around three decades. He is undoubtedly one of the finest stars who has graced the big screen with his heart winning performances. Today, as the Malayalam superstar celebrates his birthday, here is a look at some of the interesting facts about the actor’s life that every fan needs to know.
1. For fans, it has always been that Manjil Virinja Pookkal is the debut movie of Mohanlal. But the actor made his acting debut with Thiranottam which remained unreleased for almost 25 years. It, unfortunately, could not get a proper release till 2005.
2. Similarly, most think that Iruvar is Mohanlal’s debut movie. But the actor made his Tamil debut, with the movie Gopura Vaasalile, directed by Priyadarshan. He was seen in a cameo appearance in the film.
3. Mohanlal has acted in more than 330 films in a career span of more than 36 years.
4. Mohanlal and Priyadarshan have been friends for the longest time. The two share very special bond but little does anyone know that they were enemies during their college days as they were followers of two different political parties.
5. Mohanlal was a state level boxing champion in the year 1977-78. He also owns a black belt that he was honoured at the Korean martial art Taekwondo.
6. Do you know Mohanlal had refused to work with director Vishal Bhardwaj? When Vishal Bharadwaj started working in film Saat Khoon Maaf, he quickly approached Mohanlal for the role of a police officer. The actor even agreed to it but he walked out of the project later, stating that he wanted to concentrate on his Malayalam projects. Later, the director replaced him with Annu Kapoor.
7. Reportedly, the actor owns a plush apartment in world’s tallest building, Burj Khalifa. Mohanlal considers Dubai to be his ‘home away from home.’